Tuesday, January 24, 2006

After reading PEW
Internet & Daily LIfe report - Some thoughts...

The Findings confirmed my observance of different purpose for different people: I have seen the vivid difference on where, when and how male vs. female users access the Internet & use technology. Generally, who comes to the lab after school for gaming? Boys! Who comes after school for e-mail and productivity tools? Girls! Cetainly the divide is much wider from adult to children use. The article was too old to know of text messaging through the cell phones, i-pod entertainment, etc.

Adults need to be educated and enlightened about all the technology that has taken over our world so quickly. They need to have a clue what the upcoming generation is all about so that we may communicate with them, speak their language, understand where they are going.... Adults are often are blind to their children's use, what is being pumped into their headsets, and how to help them. Right now, peers are the big tech teachers rather than parents as teachers and teachers as teachers. This can be dangerous if it comes with no guidance and poor judgement.

I asked students in my homeroom -
Who has Internet access in their bedroom? (four 7th graders out of 11)

Who feels they know a lot more than their parents about computers and what is out there on the Internet? (all 4 of those students above and 2 more=over half!)

One of my student's comments on e-mail denied access - A male student who is known to push the limits with surfing the Internet and who has lost his priveleges for access to the Web as well as his school mail last year, and again this year has shown indiscretion by teasing in print via e-mail again lost it. I asked him whether he was ready to have it back (his month off was over) and he said "Ya know, I really don't need it and I seem to be getting a lot more work done!" Amazing judgement on his part. He often acts addicted to the Internet/mail, etc. I told him it was a really good choice. Three hours later he came to me and asked for it back. The temptation was too much.

Paper & Ink waste: While teaching environmental concerns teachers and students do not have the knowledge or the complete picture when printing from the Internet & computer. Contradiction. So how do you only print a piece of a document? Most teachers don't know and reams of useless material is printed.

Rambling thoughts.

1 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Greg Thweatt said...

Westie, it’s interesting that you mentioned that the article is “old”, being 3 years old could only be seen as aged when related to technology … though I guess children see a great difference in 3 years between their peers too.

I’m fortunate that we have less of a gender issue in my school than in others. It may be the greater opportunity to use technology, however, I also believe that it has to do with modeling. Over the past 10 years, many more women are taking on technology related roles (educators and technical support staff). At the same time, there still is a gap in the workforce for science/technology based jobs – we can talk more about that Tuesday.

It is great that you took the time to engage your students with the questions regarding their technology use outside of school. Hopefully, you will find other opportunities to have similar dialogs with them as the course unfolds.

Print waste is a common problem … so much for the paperless workplace, we actually buy more paper now than ever before. I took a shot at trying to educate our staff last year and compiled some suggestions. Here is a link with these suggestions, good luck.

http://www.scsvt.org/tcorner/printing.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home